Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Practicing

Here is our silver maple tapped and ready to go.  I brought home my small burner from school.  I've got an old pan and I need a candy thermometer too I guess.  If I can get 10 gallons of sap from this tap, it will make a quart of maple syrup.  My custodian said the best place to make it is outside, not in the house.  It'll be a couple weeks before my first attempt.  If you let the contents partially freeze, the water freezes first and then you can pour out the sap to cook down later.
Well that writing moved to where I didn't want it.  Here's another picture of the felt food.  I saw the popcorn and s'more and I thought they were so cute I had to buy them.  The eggs, saltines and cookies are what I've made so far.  I have a few patterns of lots of other kinds of food that I think would be fun to make.  Someday if I have some grandchildren, I'd like to have lots of these for them to play with instead of plastic. I also knit a few baby sweaters this winter and I need to sew buttons.  Here's a picture of the group.  I've got 4 teachers with babies this winter/spring so this is what they'll get.  OK, pictures are moving where I don't want them and I can't get the writing to go exactly where I want, which is why........I'm PRACTICING!

3 comments:

  1. Oh GOODNESS Aunt Becky, you have finihed a lot of baby cardigans. You do choose such nice colours and I really love them ! Is this a cottage creations pattern ? Little Lillie's baby sweater? Did you get the email I sent you with the pattern for the 'cocoon'. I think it is too generous of you to knit them a WHOLE sweater though. You must really appreciate your colleagues !!!

    Also, I couldn't agree more about the food for grandchildren (or ANY children). What a NICE gift and idea. They turned out way cooler than I had imagined ! How COOL are they ! :D The sewn food is 100 times better than plastic food any day.

    I still love that you are tree tapping, I am still waiting for your finished syrup !!! :) You're so creative !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a cottage creation pattern, babies and bears sweater. I did get the cocoon pattern too. I'm debating about what kind of yarn, I think it could take forever if I used sock yarn, so maybe I'll try a baby or sport weight. Have you knit one yet? Regarding the baby sweaters, do you think I should cut back and only give them HALF a sweater? Heehee. I haven't tried a lot of booties and hats yet, I usually purchase those from Mom/Grandma, but I suppose I could start some of those too. Hope you've had a good week, I'm still waiting for some news and pictures on your Mom's blog. I'm hoping to practice some more with pictures of some of our fish dinners this weekend. The layout didn't turn out like I wanted it or tried, so more practicing soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a lot of sweaters!! Very nice!!
    The tree tapping sounds really good too! Maple syrup is so tasty!! I want to hear how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete