Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spring Fever

Today while basking in the sun, I realized why I don't mind winter at all.  A day like today could never bring so much joy if I didn't know the meaning of a deep freeze.  The roof is almost mimicking a drum beat with the steady drip, drip, drip.  The dog is having the time of his life bounding through the sugary snowy drifts.  It reminds me that I want to find a few spouts for the maple and box elders in our yard.  Our custodian at school taps his trees and boils down the sap for syrup.  He assured me that even with a half dozen trees I could get a nice amount of maple syrup.  I'd better check around before it's "sugaring" time!

3 comments:

  1. OOoooooo, that sounds like such a fun idea to get maple syrup from your OWN trees! I imagine you will do it ! I hope you will at least. I would love to hear how it goes and better yet, TASTES !

    I like the image you created in my head too. Nice winter scenery and I can picture is perfectly :) Your dog soungs hilarious and cute too! I remember him from when he was just a puppy; he was a wild one !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sunny, warm winter days are wonderful!!
    Even the cold ones are pretty nice! :)
    Yes, I want to hear more about the maple trees, and tapping for syrup. I LOVE maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My custodian is giving me one of his taps. He told me that one tree would be enough. If it's a good 'sugaring' year I could get 12-15 gallons of sap from the tree. It won't be for a good month yet, but I plan to try it.

    ReplyDelete